Linux DevOps Engineer/Consultant - MelbourneJoin our team
The team at base2Services is looking for a driven, hard working individual that wants to step up to a learning challenge and be part of a team that is always thinking ahead of the automation game and is committed to delivering value.
We are looking for someone with a passion for DevOps practices. We work closely with our customers to integrate and automate processes, simplify monitoring, including proactive, ensuring their platform and application performs and is maintained to the highest of requirements.
The working environment requires all team members to think laterally and be agile in their thinking and methodology, as every day you will be working across multiple customer environments with varying requirements.
If you come from a development background and now want to branch out into the world of cloud technologies, we would like to meet you. This role will value a person with strong development practices and an individual that shows the drive and willingness to learn everything there is about cloud technologies and support.
Reporting to the DevOps team lead, the successful candidate will be required to work in a team environment and drive DevOps practices. We are looking for an individual that brings experience working with Amazon Web Services technologies and enjoys customer facing consulting opportunities.
The role is an addition to our existing support team and the responsibilities will include:
- Linux Administration
- Customer facing, consulting and delivery of projects
- Onboarding customers onto our Managed Services
- Performing in depth analysis of varying issues and root cause analysis, often in a pressured atmosphere
- Adhering to DevOps processes, using our suite of standard tools and practices for all cloud developments
- Always looking to automate processes and our customer environments
- Driven to find a solution that meets our customers’ needs, not only technical but also includes communication with our customers
- General administration, updating our internal knowledge base and sharing information
- Manage the deployment of application releases for all our customers, automation is the goal
- Involved in the end-to-end process, from design, estimation through to development and support; delivering to agreed timeframes
- Providing 24 x 7 support as member of a roster based team
A mixture of Linux and development skills is necessary to fulfill this role, as we are in the process of enhancing our customers’ experience with various tools.
The following skills are essential:
Hands on Amazon Web Services
- Cloud Formation
- Experience with AWS resources - eg: EC2, S3, Cloudfront
- Linux Administration (CentOS, RedHat, Ubuntu)
- Shell scripting
- Database configuration (Postgres, MySQL, SQLServer)
- Configuration management tools, such as CHEF & Puppet
- Scripting - shell, BASH, Perl, Python
- Languages - Java, PHP, Ruby
- Source control repositories - GIT, SVN
- Desire to take ownership and drive resolution on all issues and deliverables
- Exceptionally strong customer handling, conflict resolution and problem solving skills; focus on quality in customer experience
The following areas are considered highly desirable:
- Experience with JBoss AS and FuseSource (ServiceMix)
- Experience with Microsoft, Active Directory and group policy objects
- Consulting background
- 2 years experience in System Admin/Engineering role
- Amazon Web Services Solutions Architect Certification
Who will be successful in this role?
You will need:
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- To be presentable and happy to dress appropriately when required
- A good understanding of Amazon AWS and have a desire to live and breathe cloud technologies
- To understand and want to work to our company values
Open, Lean, Fun, Committed, Quality
If you want to feel good about making a difference, have great interpersonal skills, want to deliver value to base2Services and demonstrate real experience then apply for this role. Remember, you must be energetic and will be expected to deliver.
Before applying, keep in mind that this role does have after hours support on a rotating shift and we have 24x7 support for some of our customers. The better we do at improving the automation of systems, preparing for disaster situations and executing on tasks, the less we need to be woken up for an issue.